Tuesday 2 April 2013

Being able to adapt !

  I often wonder how well I'm going to adapt or overcome on this adventure as I know all the planning in the world can't prepare you for things out of your control. I have to admit I am the type of person that lays awake at night thinking what if this happens or that happens. In the morning ( after a terrible nights sleep) I often think what a waste of good sleeping time as there is nothing you can do for the unknown. I am usually pretty good at thinking on my feet so I don't know why I put myself through this but it happens. One of the reasons for doing such an event is to see how well I can overcome different trials and problems that come up (hopefully not many).
   This past weekend was the Easter long weekend in which I had 4 days off. I had planned on riding my mtb on some trails in the Okanagan for the 4 days, with 3 nights of camping. The weather was looking perfect and I was checking a couple of web sites for weather and conditions when I found out that at least two areas had a lot of snow still on the ground. I have a good chance of encountering snow on the divide so this isn't the worst thing but the amount and length of the areas that were snow covered didn't seem worth the time driving up and back. I used this as a situation to overcome and changed plans. New plan stay home and get as much riding in around here as possible. I knew this probably meant riding at least some of the time on my road bike. I went out with a friend on Friday for 60 kms of great trail riding on our mtbs and felt I was off to a good start. Saturday I had plans for a long day on the bike and decided to head into the US from my home. The route would provide me with what I guessed would be somewhere between 200 and 300 kms of varying terrain. By the time I returned home Sat. night I had covered 277 kms and 10 1/2 hrs of riding. Sunday was another great day with the sun shining and warm temp. so I headed up the Sea to Sky hwy. to Squamish approx. 75 kms from my home. The route has a couple of challenging hills which tested my legs after some good back to back rides. To end the training for the weekend my wife met me in Squamish and we hiked for 2 hrs. just to fully cook my legs. Monday I was perfectly happy to walk the dog for a couple of hours and relax.
  The original plan was to camp and ride around 700 kms but I made the best of the situation and feel I got some good kms in. I am still planing on getting away for 4 days to train and do final prep. on my kit. I am happy with how everything is going so far in the planning and training. We will only know how well on June 14th .   

No comments:

Post a Comment